Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Good Reads: The Wee Free Men


The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really enjoy Terry Pratchett's humor and point of view, but sometimes the DiscWorld series feels repetitive. This amazing book brings back a couple of familiar characters in cameo roles (Granny Weatherwax, for instance) but introduces fresh new humans and other beings in a setting that might or might not be rural medieval England. After "Witches Abroad" I was already thinking Mr. Pratchett is one of the best male authors writing from a female point of view; but this book clinches it. He also seems to remember and inhabit the point of view of a child (an extremely intelligent and no-nonsense child, of course) like no other author I've read. And the Wee Free Men themselves - a giant clan of tiny red-haired, blue-skinned maniacs also known as the Nac Mac Feegle or "pictsies" are the best invention yet.


View all my reviews

No comments: